Handwarmers, maintenance, and rebuilding
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
SpideRMaN

What is Naphtha called in europe ? Empty What is Naphtha called in europe ?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:55 am
Hi All,

I am trying to get an alternative fuel to zippo and Naphtha is mentioned a lot on youtube videos, do you know what's it called in Europe please ?

it can also be used as a thinner to oil based paints

thanks
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.mparam.com

What is Naphtha called in europe ? Empty Re: What is Naphtha called in europe ?

Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:38 pm
Here are some of the common names for fuel that will work in a handwarmer, however there are probably other names for it in other parts of the world:

- Lighter fluid (EG: Ronsonol)
- White gas
- Naptha Note, from Wikipedia: (Naphtha is a flammable liquid hydrocarbon mixture. Mixtures labelled naphtha have been produced from natural gas condensates, petroleum distillates, and the distillation of coal tar and peat. In different industries and regions naphtha may also be crude oil or refined products such as kerosene, which probably will not work well in a handwarmer.)
- Coleman camping fuel
- ligroin
- varnish makers and painters naptha
- benzin
- shellite

It's important to remember that hydrocarbon fumes are required to react with the catalyst and start an exothermic reaction. I recall getting a note from someone that thought alcohol should work fine in a handwarmer. I pointed out to him that alcohol oxidizes to an aldehyde (or a carboxylic acid), neither of which will produce heat when they interact with platinum. For anyone interested in what happens with you evaporate hydrocarbons such as naphtha, there is a more detailed explanation on our FAQ.
SpideRMaN

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:26 am
Thanks,

will go to some paint stores to try and find some painters naphtha. will post back
Xteacher

Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:02 pm
I have an old Jon'e fuel can and on the back of the can it specifically says, contains VM&P naphtha.
Hope VM&P naphtha is called the same in Europe
SpideRMaN

Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:01 am
I tried looking for VM&P Naphtha in europe but no luck, I believe it has a different name.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.mparam.com

Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:33 pm
Try looking for benzine.

Benzene and benzine are not the same thing. Though they are often confused or used interchangeably in books and magazines, they are very different.
Benzene is carcinogenic and was removed from the consumer market 40 years ago. Before then it was often used as a paint and varnish remover.

Benzine is another name for naphtha in the US, though the term is rarely used in this manner anymore. It’s also a common name for gasoline in England.

Naphtha (benzine) is a faster evaporating, less oily (“drier”) form of mineral spirits. It’s not dangerous if used in moderation.
geirars

Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:10 am
Hi
In the Nordic Coutries ( Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland  and Sweeden
we use " Alkylat bensin 4-stroke " This is environment friendly fuel witch is very pure and clean.
I have been using it for many years in both zippo lighters and hand warmers.
The price in Norway is 4 USD per litre.
Link to one supplier :
biltema.no/fritid/hage/hagemaskiner/tilbehor-til-hagemaskiner/alkylatbensin-4-takt-2000031607

Tech data :
biltema.no/BiltemaDocuments/SecuritySheets/nb/360054_SDB.pdf

Regards
geirars
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum