Handwarmers, maintenance, and rebuilding
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Arjan2010

New springs and catalyst works perfectly! Empty New springs and catalyst works perfectly!

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 am
Dear Mountain Parameters,

About a year ago I ordered some carbon felt, (pre-packed) springs and some catalyst, but kept using my pocket warmers as came out of the factory.
At the beginning of this season I rebuilt my 2 Peacock standard pocket warmers.
I cut out 2 carbon felt strips en placed them in the warmers. The video's were very helpful. Thank you!
Then I removed the heads en put the new springs with catalyst in place. This was easy to do in the Peacock warmers, but the video's gave me some great tips (for example about leaving the metal retainer out. Then filled the warmers with nafta and tried to lit them. Did not work... Started up my computer en re-read the tips... Off course: I had to wait and pre-heat the warmers. After that they lit and worked liked never before! I whished I re-build them right after I received the parts:) But now, I'm again very happy with my pocket warmers. Feels like they are new, but then twice as good.

I don't know how or why but one of the warmers actually stays warm for about 36 hours. The other 24 hours. Maybe different circumstances. With the bare eye I see no differences, but also 24 hours is more than sufficient for me:)

So, that's why I wanted to leave this feedback and review on this forum. Great products. Thank you for the extra spring also!
I don't know if this is the good place to 'end' with a 'future' question, but..

How can one see that the catalyst in the spring needs to be replaced? I see the colour changes from white to brown where the heat is most intense. That is where the nafta fumes hit the spring / catalyst first, right in the middle of the spring at the bottom side, just above the space (air) between the carbon felt and the spring. Is the colour an indicator or is it just as simple as it will stop working?

Thank you!

Last edited by Arjan2010 on Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.mparam.com

New springs and catalyst works perfectly! Empty Re: New springs and catalyst works perfectly!

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:24 am
If the unit is working OK for you, then no need to fiddle with it. When it no longer performs satisfactorily it may be time to replace the catalyst, especially if it looks 'punky' where it has turned brown, which is usually an indication that the catalyst was contaminated with naphtha at some point.
Arjan2010

New springs and catalyst works perfectly! Empty Re: New springs and catalyst works perfectly!

Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:51 am
Thank you for your quick reply.
I gave Google a search on what 'punky' looks like trying to understand, but it only showed me quite interesting images about haircuts:)
But, I take your advice not to fiddle with it to heart. They work great with your rebuilt parts.
I will keep using them and see how it looks like when it will no longer performs satisfactorily.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:41 am
'punky' in this case would be like the wood in an old log that has been laying on the ground for many years that when you strike it with an axe it just makes a hollow thump and the wood falls out in chunks and pieces.

In my case, She Who Must be Obeyed says she is giving me a haircut tonight in preparation for the work Christmas Party. Given the amount of hair I have left and the color (or lack thereof), 'Punky' is not something I'll be concerned about. Having her near my ears and throat with a sharp weapon however, that is another story entirely...
Arjan2010

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:49 am
I understand. Thank you!

Just want to say..
Please sit still when the woman holds the weapon. That's the only way to survive. I hope this message finds you well in time.

Since I refused the woman who I must obey holding a sharp weapon near my throat, she sent me out to a guy who's throwing real flames on and in my ears.  pale
Here you can see, I'm not kidding...
But, at least, that is not immediately lethal, although it can hurt. Luckily when that happens, there will be no more hair grow in the future. Hope this helps.

Wishing you both a Merry Christmas!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:59 am
Wow, does that stop all future hair growth? I wonder if I strap S-Boston handwarmers to the side of my head if it will have the same result, and I will not have to pay a barber.
Arjan2010

Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:11 pm
lol!
I'm glad you have survived Wink

When the flames just 'kisses' your ears, like lighting the catalyst the proper way, it controls the ear hairs for about 3 weeks. After this time, She Who Must be Obeyed sends me back into this special barber shop. Again and again. So, I know there will be one day in the future it goes terribly wrong and then I think all the future hair growth stops. From that moment on, I will not have to pay a barber ever again for throwing flames into my ears.

Good idea to strap handwarmers to the side of our heads. I will try my Peacocks and post the results here rendeer
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum